NAPE provides a variety of professional development opportunities to school administrators, middle school, high school, and community college educators, and career counselors. NAPE’s professional development focuses on improving underserved populations’ access to and success in educational and training programs that lead to high-skill, high-wage, and high-demand careers. Such populations include the following:
- Students pursuing occupations that are nontraditional for their gender
- Underrepresented groups (including women and girls) in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM)
- Special populations (English-language learners, students with disabilities, single parents and pregnant women, displaced homemakers, and economically disadvantaged students)
NAPE has developed three professional development programs:
- The Program Improvement Process for Equity™ (PIPE™) engages teams of administrators, educators, and counselors in a 5-step process to conduct a student data–based performance gap analysis, identify root causes for the gaps, and develop an action plan based on research-based strategies proven to close the identified gaps.
- Micromessaging to Reach and Teach Every Student© is a high-quality, research-based, educator professional development program to address gender- and culturally based implicit biases that occur in the classroom and that are manifested through “micromessages.”
- Workshops for career counselors integrate current research-based counseling practices to ensure the academic success and college and career preparedness of underrepresented students in career and technical education (CTE) and STEM courses and programs of study.
To date, the largest NAPE project to use all three of these programs in the STEM Equity Pipeline™.
Professional Development Institute
Each year, NAPE’s holds a Professional Development Institute (PDI) in Washington, D.C., to provide a variety of robust, research-based, effective and promising practices for every audience interested in advancing student achievement. Join us April 15-18. 2013!
Customized Professional Development
NAPE will work with your school, district, or college to customize professional development to meet your unique needs—online, workshops, or communities of practice. Contact Courtney Reed Jenkins, Director of Professional Development, for more information.